The Facility Corporation is comprised of Zeta Mu chapter members who have paid the full facility fee: Juniors, Seniors and all Alumnae.
The Facility Corporation Board (FCB) is comprised of alumnae volunteer officers, the Chapter Finance Advisor, and 3 undergraduate members: the Chapter President, Vice President Finance and Facility Manager.
To find out more, contact one of our officers or use the Contact Us button in the right column on any page of our site.
History of Green Hall
In the spring of 1983, MIT opened Green Hall as its first residence hall for women graduate students. MIT named Green Hall in honor of Ida Flansburgh Green of Dallas, Texas who has been a major MIT benefactor and advocate of graduate studies for women. Mrs. Green and her husband, Cecil Howard Green, a 1923 graduate of MIT and founder and honorary director of Texas Instruments, Inc. also provided MIT with its 20 floor "Green Building."
The photo is of Ida Flansburgh Green posing in front of the plaque dedicated to her name at Green Hall. It is courtesy of the MIT Museum, 1983.
Prior to its opening in 1983, the present building at 350 Memorial Drive functioned as a medical facility. Before 1966, Green Hall was the Sancta Maria Hospital staffed by the Daughters of the Immaculate Conception, a nursing order of Roman Catholic nuns. Accomodating 83 patients, the nuns acquired the building in 1940 when it was called the Charlesgate Hospital. Among other local patients treated at the hospital was Harry Agganis, the "Golden Greek" of the Boston Red Sox who died at the Sancta Maria Hospital on June 27, 1955.
When the Sancta Maria hospital facilities became too cramped on Memorial Drive, the hospital moved to its present location on Concord Avenue on the borders of Arlington and Belmont. The building was sold to MIT in July 1966 for use as a students' infirmary. It functioned as an infirmary until it moved into new and expanded facilities in 1982.